6 Ingredient Salsa Verde
This 6-ingredient salsa verde recipe is quick and easy to make, and always so fresh and delicious. So dam good!
It goes without saying that one of the things I love most from childhood is the memory of the great, tasty meals served every night. My family was not flush with money, however the quality of food used to create family meals were fit for a king.
It’s without a doubt that today I have a huge appreciation for the time and effort my parents took to produce a high quality of fresh, good, wholesome food on a budget. To be able to feed a family on a budget and creating meals that were equivalent to restaurant quality food is truely a skilful. I’m inspired to share the same with family and friends as well as with you all.
In fact, this salsa verde recipe is inspired by my dear dad. Dad loved this stuff and created it often. Dad’s version had anchovies (an acquired taste I know) but really great in flavour.
Whenever there is an abundance of basil growing in the garden, this recipe comes to life. While it tastes best with freshly picked basil, the 6 ingredients required are easily found at any local farmers market. While the freshness that oozes out of this salsa verde is nothing short of AMAZING, the intense flavour is however the highlight.
The good news…
Honestly this really is one very flavourful salsa
The recipe shared here is ridiculously easy to make and yet very versatile. Because it is so simple, it can be made fresh whenever required.
Simply top baked potatoes for added flavour, enjoy it with a perfectly seared steak, or enjoy it as a dipping sauce for those oven roasted wedges.
6 Ingredient Salsa Verde Recipe
For this 6 ingredient salsa verde recipe, you will need:
- Fresh flat leaf parsley : Two bunches that equals approx. 2 cups of free parsley.
- Fresh basil leaves: 2 cups of basil – it must be fresh.
- Olive oil: Virgin or Extra Virgin is fine
- Lemon juice: Please avoid the bottled stuff. Freshly squeezed is best for a truely fresh flavoured tang.
- Capers: Baby capers are preferred as they are more delicate in flavour.
- Garlic: Again, please stick to fresh for truely rich, intense flavour.
To illustrate just how easy it is to make Salsa Verde
It’s so straight froward in-fact! Simply…
- Prepare all of the ingredients: Wash the basil and parsley and dry off with a salad spinner or tea towel. Measure other ingredients such as the capers, lemon juice.
- Combine ingredients: Pop all ingredients into a food processor. I use the mini Artisan Food Chopper for all my sauces as it’s the perfect size.
- Taste and season: Feel free to add in some salt and pepper here, or adjust the lemon juice if desired.
- Serve: Place the ingredients into a small bowl and serve! You can refrigerate in a air tight jar for up to 2 weeks.
The best way to make this salsa verde is to place all 5 ingredients into a blender or food processor and whiz away. It couldn't be easier. This salsa verde is great served with grilled or roasted meat and fish or smeared onto some crusty bread as a bruschetta base.
- 1 cup flat leaf parsely
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp baby capers
- 1/2 clove garlic add the full clove if you want a stronger garlic flavour
Wash the parsley and basil leaves.
Place all the ingredients into a blender or food processor.
Whiz until finely chopped. Add more oil if you like a runnier sauce.
This salsa verde can be used to accompany meat, chicken or fish. I love it served with my oven roasted barramundi recipe
Then if you decide to make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #SUNDAYCALM. I’d love to see what you cook this weekend!