Anyway, I digress. Back to the rum balls…
So how do you make simple easy rum balls?
Well you will need Arnott’s milk coffee biscuits or graham crackers depending on which part of the hemisphere you live in. Either one will work well. Other ingredients you will need include walnuts, cocoa, currants, rum (of course!!), condensed milk and chocolate sprinkles. That’s it!
It’s super easy you could make this blindfolded, although personally I wouldn’t recommend that when measuring the quantity of rum required. ?
And the directions for this recipe are even easier. Simply crush the biscuits or crackers in a food processor, and set aside, Do the same with the walnuts and place in a mini bowl. Add all other ingredients and mix. This is the fun and slightly messy part. You can use a wooden spoon, however I found using your clean hands to be the easiest way to ensure all the ingredients are mixed well together.
Roll the mixture into small balls then roll them into the chocolate sprinkles and place into small paper cases. Let them sit in the fridge so they don’t melt and take them out when ready to serve. See, so simple to make and they look impressive.
Now in true fashion I forgot to count the yield of this recipe…well it’s difficult to stop popping them into your mouth when they should be placed in the cases. But I’m estimating approximately 35 were made from this recipe, give or take a few depending on the size of each ball.
How to make rum balls without alcohol?
If you want to make a non alcoholic version of this recipe, simply replace the rum with almond milk to which you add 2 tablespoons of almond essence.
So getting cracking, you still have time to make these wonderfully easy treats for family and friends this Christmas.
Happy Holidays Everyone!
Remember to subscribe to SUNDAYCALM to receive new delicious recipes into your inbox!
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a pic and hashtag it #SUNDAYCALM. I’d love to see it!
Rum balls with spiced rum
- 250 g milk coffee biscuits 1 packet
- 250 g walnuts grind in food processor
- 2 tbsp dutch cocoa grind in food processor
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut desiccated
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1/2 cup spiced rum
- 395 g sweetened condensed milk
- 250 g chocolate sprinkles
- Grind the biscuits or crackers finely and place into a bowl.
- Do the same with the walnuts and add to the same mixing bowl.
- Add the cocoa, coconut, currants, rum and condensed milk and mix well with a wooden spoon or hands.
- Once the ingredients are thoroughly mixed, roll into truffle size balls. You should get approx. 35 balls.
- Place the chocolate sprinkles into a bowl and roll the ball so well coated.
- Using small truffle cases, please each ball into the paper case and refrigerate for 20 minutes. If making these in summer, store them in the refrigerator to avoid the chocolate melting.