Potato Gnocchi Recipe
Potato Gnocchi are soft, plump, pillowy Italian potato dumplings with a delicate flavour served with a rich, hearty tomato based sauce. To say nothing of the beautifully rolled, shell like shapes that can be easily created using a fork. Gnocchi are heavenly!
It’s without any doubt that shaping the gnocchi enhances the rich, flavoursome sauce served with them. Why? Because the sauce is caught in between the grooves between of the fluffy, light dough of gnocchi heaven providing maximum flavour.
Restaurants will have you think that the potato gnocchi is a complex, overly sophisticated dish to create at home. That couldn’t be further from the truth. I’m here to show you just how simple it really is.
Potato Gnocchi Tips
There are only a few easy steps to remember…. I mean, seriously easy!
- Boil the potatoes until tender and soft ✓
- Allow to cool ✓
- Add all other ingredients ✓
- Knead into a dough ✓
- Cut and shape to size ✓
Gently does it…
Now let’s have some fun
Going, going, gone!!!
If you loved making these potatoes gnocchi, be sure to check out how to make your very own fettuccine pasta from scratch. Buonissimo!
Potato Gnocchi RecipePrint Pin Rate
- 2 kg Desiree potatoes
- 5 cups plain flour (all purpose)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 egg
- Place unpeeled potatoes in a pot and boil until tender.
- Allow to cook enough to peel the potatoes. Tip - Peeling the potatoes prior to boiling will results in mushy, gluey gnocchi.
- Using a potato masher or a sieve, mash the potatoes well.
- To the potatoes add the butter and egg and mix well.
- Add flour in small batches and continue to mix until mixture starts to resemble dough.
- Transfer the mixture onto a floured surface and continue adding the remaining flour in small batches. Once all flour has been added and the dough slightly sticky and flexible, roll into long log like strip.
- Using a fork roll the dough down the fork with a light but firm stroke to create a curly shell like dough.
- Be gentle as you want to create a hollow middle in the gnocchi.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Gnocchi need a lot of water for cooking.
- Add 2 tbsp salt to the boiling water.Place the gnocchi into the boiling water and cook 5-10 minutes .TIP – Gnocchi are cooked when they all rise to the surface of the water
- Strain & serve with your favourite pasta sauce.