This Mixed Berry Sorbet is so light & refreshing as a summertime treat. Its gluten & dairy free & made quickly using a blender (no ice-cream machine required). All you need are frozen mixed berries & a few staple pantry ingredients to create this summertime favourite. Instant Sorbet for hot, summer days when you need to cool down.
Long, hot, lazy days spent at the beach, ice-cream dripping down the arm & summery, outdoor dinners under the stars. These are the memories of growing up in the Australian summer.
The warm weather has got me craving gelato & sorbet all the time, so I thought I’d act on this craving & make some light, fresh, cooling sorbet of my own. If you love sorbet as much as I do, get set to make this simple delicious recipe (in a flash) that you can enjoy this summer.
KEEP CALM & EAT SORBET
I’ve always have frozen berries in my freezer – they’re one of my favourite fruits actually. I use frozen berries in smoothies and in my baking. In summer, (tip alert) I even use them in place of ice cubes in a long glass of sparkling mineral water and a dash of Angostura bitters to make a super refreshing and thirst-quenching drink. But, I digress…..
When I’m considering making gelato and I’m confronted with the overwhelming choices and creamy assortment of gelato flavours, raspberry or blueberries are always my go-to. Sure I love lemon, coffee, hazelnut & passionfruit, but the berries have always been the gelato I’ve loved the most.
So, to celebrate the beginning of summer, I decided to make this fabulous mixed berry sorbet using a mixture of my favourite berries: strawberries, blackberries & blueberries. Needless to say the colour of this sorbet is a gorgeous red with specs of purple.
Feel free to play with flavours as well. I plan to try this recipe using coconut & mango or I think rockmelon would make a fresh, light & clean flavoured after dinner sorbet to refresh the palate. I’ll post those recipes later on.
The added egg white in this recipe is what gives this sorbet a super light, almost fluffy feel to this sorbet. It is so refreshing and full of flavour that you’ll be craving more than one bowl! Guaranteed!
Mixed Berry Sorbet
- 380 g mixed berries frozen are fine
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 egg white
- Liquify the berries in a blender then strain through a sieve into a bowl
- In a saucepan, stir sugar & the water on medium heat until the sugar dissolves
- Bring the water & sugar to a boil, reduce the heat & simmer for 5 minutes, uncovered without stirring
- Transfer the mixture to a heatproof bowl & cool to room temperature
- Stir in the berries & lemon juice & pour the mixture into a loaf pan, cover with foil & freeze
- Freeze for approx. 3 hours or overnight
- Once frozen, place the mixture together with the egg white, into a food processor & process until smooth. Return to the pan & freeze until firm