Marinated Zucchini Recipe
This garlic marinated zucchini with mint is delicious, tasty and the perfect summer entertaining dish.
A summer side dish you’ll love!
As a matter of fact, it’s a dish my guests often love the most. Obviously this is a wonderful thing! It’s so satisfying creating a dish they all love, but even more pleasing when the dish is so simple and straight forward to make. It’s my genius side dish that can be made ahead of time. In fact this is one of those dishes where flavours intensify the longer it rests at room temperature.
Because the zucchini is cooked before being marinated, the zucchini soaks up the marinade more quickly and thoroughly intensifying the flavours BIG TIME!
With Christmas just around the corner, I’m thinking about all the possible side dishes I could create for a fun family feast. This one will definitely be on the menu this Christmas day.
The steps to this recipe are definitely straight forward. Start with prepping the zucchini by washing and cutting the zucchini length ways.
Chopped the garlic into slivers. We’ll be using this to flavour the oil in our pan.
The cut zucchini should then be placed onto a tray lined with paper towels and allowed to sit for 30 minutes. This removes any water moisture from the zucchini before frying.
Place the oil and chopped into a pan. I prefer to use a griddle pan for these so that the griddle marks appear on the zucchini. Believe it or not, it adds a sweet, smokey flavour to the zucchini.
Allow the garlic to infuse in the oil for a minute then remove using a slotted spoon. If you prefer intense garlic flavours (I know I sure do!) then feel free to leave them in.
Cook the zucchini on either side for approx. 2-3 minutes, then place on a plate and set aside.
Wash and chop the mint finely and sprinkle it onto the zucchini.
Mixing the oil and vinegar dressing, pour over the zucchini allowing it to rest while it absorbs the flavours.
Ready to serve.
If you’re a zucchini lover and looking for a slightly different flavour to zucchini, check out my Grilled Zucchini with Fresh Lemon and Mint Recipe. It’s tangy, zesty and another gorgeous summertime side dish the whole family will love.
- 6 medium size zucchini
- 2 cloves garlic 1 clove thinly sliced and the other finely chopped
- 4 tbsp mint
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 60 ml olive oil extra to serve
- Wash and slice zucchini length ways.
- Line an oven tray with paper towels and place the sliced zucchini on the tray. Allow the zucchini to dry for 30 minutes
- Pat the zucchini down with the paper towel to remove any excess moisture.
- In a griddle pan on medium heat, place half of the oil and thinly sliced garlic and cook for 1 minute. You may remove the garlic and discard or leave in the pan for a more intense flavour.
- Cook the zucchini until browned (approx. 2-3 minutes) each side then remove and place into a serving dish.
- Sprinkle the chopped garlic and mint onto the zucchini
- Combine the remaining oil and vinegar into a bowl, season and drizzle over the zucchini.
- Serve at room temperature
- Depending on the size of the zucchini, you may need to slice them in thirds.
- Do not slice too thinly as the zucchini will lose their shape
- This recipe is best served at room temperature.
- If serving the next day, cover the plate with plastic wrap and store in a cool place, but not the refrigerator.
- If making this dish ahead of time, scatter the mint minutes before serving. This will ensure the mint doesn't wilt and brown.