Honey Almond Italian Biscotti are a perfect accompaniment to an afternoon coffee. The sweetness of the honey and the crunch of the almonds are addictive and will keep you coming back for more.
When you bite into these biscotti, you could just as easily be transported to an elegant and timeless cafe in Florence or Milan.
What I love about this recipe.
Many of the recipes I share with you on this blog have been shared with my mother by some of her many friends, who are also accomplished home cooks within her small and generous community. In this case, my mum has a very lush lemon tree that produces more fruit than she would ever need herself. So, she bags up the lemons and shares them with many of her numerous friends, some of whom go on to make Limoncello, a famous Italian lemon liqueur. In turn, they then share the bountiful produce from their own gardens or pass on some of their favourite recipes with her.
There are several variations to this Honey Almond Biscotti. These ones have a subtle, gingerbread-like taste to them. They are elegant and simple for any afternoon tea with friends, but equally perfect for dunking.
What you will need for this recipe.
- plain flour
- self raising flour
- vanilla essense
- roasted almonds
This recipe is so simple and requires one bowl. YES!!! No fuss.
A few notes before we start making the honey almond Italian biscotti recipe.
- The biscotti dough is sticky and cannot be rolled into logs. Spooning the mixture into logs works best.
- Be sure to keep a small bowl of water nearby. Wetting your fingers, smooth out the dough and shape into long logs on the tray.
- You can add the zest of a lemon or orange to the mixture for additional flavour.
- When placing the dough on to a lined tray, leave some space in between as the dough will spread during baking.
- Biscotti should be cooled before cutting. Cut the logs into diagonals for best presentation.
- This recipe will create approx. 30-40 biscotti however this is dependent on the size of the log.
- Store in an air tight container for up to one month.
Once the ingredients are combined and thoroughly mixed, using a spoon, place the mixture on to a lined tray, shaping the dough into long logs. This is where the water comes in handy.
Wetting the hands so that the mixture doesn’t stick, shape and smooth the dough.
Bake 180ºC for approx. 15-20 minutes or until browned.
Allow the biscotti to cool on a rack before cutting them into small batons.
In Italian, Biscotti actually means twice bake. These ones are an exception. This recipes creates a more chewy biscotti. If however you prefer super crunchy biscotti, feel free to bake for a second time after cutting them. Bake for a further 30 minutes at a low temperature approx. 50°C oven.
Cool then store in an airtight container.
Honey Almond Biscotti are delicious holiday biscotti, made with only 5 ingredients! Easy to make, no oils, dairy free and delicious!
- 300 g honey
- 150 g plain flour (sifted)
- 150 g self-raising flour (sifted)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup almonds (roasted)
Place all ingredients into the bowl and mix well.
Using a dessert spoon, place some of the mixture onto the tray and continue to add more mixture to create a long log.
Using your hands that have been dampened in a bowl of water, shape the dough into long logs, smoothing out any bumps. Create two logs on one tray, leaving enough space as the dough can spread during baking.
Bake in a moderate oven 180ºC oven for 15-20 minutes or until browned.
Allow to cool, then cut diagonally into small biscotti batons.
THINKING OF MAKING THIS RECIPE?
Be sure to take a photo and tag it @SUNDAYCALM on Instagram and hashtag it #SUNDAYCALM. I’d love to see it!
If you are like me and have a sweet tooth, be sure to check out some of the other recipes.