Oh my it’s Granola-licious
I thought I’d start my little health-kick off this week with a healthy granola recipe. My focus is on creating a feel-good, no-fuss, great-tasting breakfast recipe that will nourish and satisfy. With the colder weather (now that winter is almost upon us), I find I’m craving warm, soothing, satisfying breakfasts that will keep me warm and see me right through to lunch time.
This is my favorite homemade healthy granola recipe!! There is nothing more delicious and rewarding than making your own Granola. And the smells that float through the kitchen are AMAZING!!!!!
I’ve been a late bloomer when it comes to getting on the granola bandwagon but I’m happy I finally made it. The beauty of granola is that you can pretty much create so many different versions of it that are to your own personal liking.
I’ve gotta to say – I’m a huge fan of dried figs in my granola but I know that many people aren’t. So if you’re a “No dried fruit for me” type of person, feel free to omit them.
The recipe can basically be made with your eyes closed.
You will need
- old-fashioned oats (not instant oats)
- nuts (my fave, slivered almonds, pecans and walnuts but you can sub in any favorite kind or combination of nuts)
- coconut oil
- maple syrup
- ground cinnamon, salt and vanilla extract (musts for flavour)
- flaked coconut
- dried fruit (optional)
Begin with crushing the nuts slightly with a pestle & mortar. If you like a textured rustic effect, don’t grind them too much..
Add all the remaining dry ingredients into a bowl and mix together
Add the maple syrup and coconut oil…
Lay out flat on a tray and bake….
Once it is cooked, take it out of the oven and allow to cool on the baking tray. Don’t touch it until it’s had time to cool and reaches room temperature. As it cools, some of the granola clumps together which gives the granola a lovely, crunchy texture.
Eat them with yogurt, with your favourite milk or add crunch to your favourite dessert like these simply delicious poached pears.
I hope you enjoy this healthy granola breakfast option. Cheers to a healthy start to the day!!
Health Granola Recipe
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 6 dried figs
- 6 dates
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven 180°C.
- Line a tray with parchment / baking paper and set aside.
- With a mortar & pestle, crush the larger nuts. Do not let them get too fine, as one of the great things about this recipe is the different textures.
- Toss all of the nuts in together in a bowl. Chop up the dates & figs roughly and add to the bowl.
- Add the coconut flakes. Add a generous sprinkle of cinnamon to the bowl. Mix well
- In a small pot, add 1/2 cup of coconut oil & 1 tablespoon of maple syrup.
- On low heat, allow the coconut oil to melt and stir well.
- Pour the coconut oil & maple syrup mix over the granola mix and stir well, ensuring all of the mixture is covered.
- Pour the mixture onto the tray and spread evenly.
- Place in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Store in a air-tight container or jar.
- Serve for breakfast with yoghurt and fruit.