When you want to add some Mediterranean class to a summer party or picnic, try these Grilled Eggplant with Lemon and Mint. It’s a simple eggplant appetiser recipe with only 5 ingredients and a few simple steps. These are guaranteed to be a hit with all vegetable lovers, young and old. And for the diet conscious, this recipe is Low-carb, Keto, Low-glycemic, Gluten-free, Vegetarian, and Simply Delicious.
Are you an eggplant lover? If so, this grilled eggplant with lemon, mint and basil will knock your socks off! If you’re not a lover of eggplant, I can assure you soon will be after you try this version.
I’ve been making this recipe for years. I couldn’t really say when I first discovered the recipe, however, I do know that they’ve been a constant hit in my family for a very long time. It’s a recipe I turn to whenever I’m summer entertaining, mainly because they taste great, but also because they require only a few simple steps. These can be made in advance, the recipe is fool-proof and it can be made ahead of time. Once made, simply refrigerate the grilled eggplant until ready to serve. In fact, refrigerating the eggplant intensifies the flavour, making them even more delicious.
Grilled Eggplant – a few simple ingredients
- Olive Oil
- Lemon juice
Wash and cut the eggplant into circles that are approx. 1/2 inch in thickness.
Sprinkle the eggplant with salt and place in a colander. Top with a plate, then add some weight on top of the plate. The salt and the weight (in this case, a packet of flour) helps eliminate any excess moisture from the eggplant. Let it sit for 15 minutes. Once 15 minutes is up, pat each eggplant dry with a paper towel and remove any moisture that has been released.
Place the eggplant on a large baking tray and brush with olive oil. Mark the grill to 200°C and grill the eggplants for 10 minutes.
Set the timer so you can ensure to keep an eye on them. You want the eggplants to brown but not burn (which is easy to do with these).
Turn them over and repeat the process by brushing them with olive oil. Return them to the grill and cook for a further 10 minutes.
Once the eggplant is cooked, transfer to a serving plate and layer the eggplants on the plate.
Brush each eggplant with lemon juice, scatter the chopped garlic and mint then refrigerate until ready to serve.
So good, so easy!
It’s as simple as that. Now just watch them disappear!
I hope you enjoy this recipe. Remember to subscribe to SUNDAYCALM to receive more delicious recipes right into your inbox! It’s FREE!
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a pic and hashtag it #SUNDAYCALM. I’d love to see it!
Grilled eggplant with lemon and mint
- 3 large eggplants sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 4 tbsp mint chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 juice of lemon
- 2-3 tsp salt
- Wash the eggplant and cut in round circles, approx. 1/2 thick.
- Place the sliced eggplant into a colander and salt on both sides. Cover the colander with a plate and add some weight on the plate. A few large cans or a brick is fine. This draws out any moisture from the eggplant. Leave for 15 minutes.
- With a paper towel, pat dry any excess salt and moisture from the eggplant.
- Arrange the eggplant on a large tray. Brush the top of each eggplant with olive oil and place under a 180°C grill for 10 minutes.
- Turn over the eggplant and brush again with olive oil. Return to the grill for a further 10 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Place the eggplant on a serving dish and brush the eggplants with the lemon juice. Scatter the finely chopped garlic over the eggplant. Add the chopped mint. Refrigerate for an hour then serve.
Other recipes you may like