Deliciously simple grilled asparagus and tomato salad with toasted pine-nuts is perfect in the summer. Simply toss the asparagus and tomatoes in garlic and olive oil, season with salt and pepper and grill! This is a great salad that complements any main dish.
Welcome to 2019 – I hope you all had a wonderful time seeing in the new year. Can you believe it’s 2019? I certainly can’t. But I’m excited about the plans I have for the coming year.
In my opinion, by the time we’ve all seen in the new year, there’s been so much eating, drinking and celebrating that our bodies are in desperate need of some rest from all the celebrations. And for that reason, I turn my attention to healthier, wholesome and flavourful salad options. I love salads! And in the summer time, I can’t get enough of them. A great salad should be simple, healthy and delicious. And it goes without saying, this salad is exactly that!
Grilled Asparagus and Tomato Salad
This recipe couldn’t be easier. Starting with the asparagus spear, chop off the woody ends – these are too chewy and stringy, so need to be discarded.
Chopped the cherry tomatoes and place on a tray and season with salt and black pepper.
Take the olive oil and place it in a small dish together with the crushed garlic. The longer you leave the garlic infused in the oil, the more intense the flavour of the salad.
Drizzle the garlic oil over the asparagus and tomatoes and massage it in to coat well.
Place under a medium grill and cook for 15 minutes or until the asparagus spears are tender. Alternatively, you can cook the asparagus and tomatoes on a griddle until charred with grill marks.
Once cooked, remove from the oven or griddle and splash with the balsamic vinegar while the vegetables cool.
In a non-stick pan, place the pine nuts on medium-low heat and roast for 3 minutes or until browned. Using a wooden spoon, mix the pine nuts constantly to ensure that they don’t burn. Cool then sprinkle over the salad.
The salad is ready to serve once it’s at room temperature.
Super yum! Happy Summer Days!
Now I’m off to set some 2019 recipes goals so stay tuned ?
Got any Italian recipes you’d like me to create? Leave it in the comments below.
Remember to subscribe to SUNDAYCALM to receive new delicious recipes into your inbox!
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a pic and hashtag it #SUNDAYCALM. I’d love to see it!
Grilled asparagus and tomato salad
- 3 bunches asparagus wood ends removed
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 tsp salt to season
- 1/4 tsp fresh black pepper
- 1/4 cup pine nuts toasted
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Place the olive oil and crushed garlic into a bowl and mix together. Allow to sit for 10 minutes. This intensifies the garlic flavour in the oil.
- Wash and trim the asparagus removing the woody ends. Place in a bowl.
- Rinse and slice the cherry tomatoes in half. Place in the bowl with the asparagus then drizzle with the garlic olive oil.
- Toss the asparagus and tomatoes, ensuring they are well coated in oil.Place on a roasting tray.
- Place under a grill over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove and pour over the balsamic vinegar while the asparagus are hot.Allow to cool.
- In the meantime, place the pine nuts in a non-stick fry pan. On low heat, dry roast the pine nuts until golden brown and toasted.
- Sprinkle the pine nuts over the salad then serve.