Chicken Piccata – An easy, quick recipe packed with flavour dinner the family will love any night of the week.
This recipe includes chicken thigh pan-fried until a golden brown colour, then cooked in it’s juices and finished off in a smooth, buttery, lemon garlic sauce with capers and white wine or sherry! What could be easier than this recipe for a mid-week dinner option?
How to make a piccata sauce
It’s all in the sauce. This sauce adds flavour and tanginess to this dish. I’d go as far as saying, it’s ALL about the sauce. And you’ll want plenty of that sauce too, so that you can mop it all up with some warm, crusty Italian bread….Oh yeah!!!
For the sauce you will need
- Lemon juice (freshly squeezed please)
- Lemon slices (3-4 slices)
- White wine or sherry (quality over quantity)
- Baby Capers
- Thyme sprigs
How to serve this scrumptious meal?
Chicken Piccata Recipe
- 4 Chicken Thighs
- Salt & Pepper pinch
For the sauce:
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Sherry or White Wine
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 Lemon sliced
- 50 g baby capers
- 2- 3 sprigs of Thyme
- In a heavy skillet or pan, heat the oil on medium heat.
- Add the chicken, skin side down & cook for 5 minutes on either side or until browned.
- Remove the chicken & set aside.
- To the pan, add the butter, sherry (or wine) & lemon juice. Allow the chicken to cook in the liquid for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
- If there are any browned bits on the bottom of the pan, be sure to scrape them off the pan so to release the flavours.
- Return the chicken to the pan & cover with a lid.
- Cook for a further 15-20 minutes on medium heat for the chicken to cook through.
- 10 minutes prior to serving, add the capers, thyme & lemon slices.
- Place the chicken into a serving dish, sprinkle with sprigs of fresh thyme & the cooked lemon slices.