Green Beans with Basil Lemon Olive-Oil Dressing is a quick, easy, and fresh summer side dish. This green bean recipe is as simple as blanching the green beans then dressing them with the basil lemon olive oil dressing that tops the green beans. It’s Paleo, whole 30, low carb, and vegan friendly and the perfect dish for a lazy Sunday lunch.
Loving summer fresh food
Take one forkful of these fresh Basil Lemon Olive-Oil Blanched Green Beans and you’ll feel summer popping in your mouth. I love the vibrant green colours, which are fresh and inviting. And, these beans exude a wonderful lemony aroma.
Add this easy side dish to any meal. It can elevate the simplest of meals like an omelette or some smoked salmon. It can also transform a festive lunch like Christmas. The tangy lemon, combined with the fresh basil and flat Italian parsley flavours, means this dish works well as a side for a meat or fish dish.
I served these green beans for a small, no-fuss family lunch recently. My family have always eaten green beans, but this was the first time I had served them up like this. In actual fact this dish was inspired after watching an episode of Jamie and the Nonna’s. The fresh, vibrant herbs, olive oil and lemon flavours in Mediterranean cooking really appeal to me. It brings me back to the fond memories of my own Nonna and the trips to chaotic Italy.
Let me show you just how simple this recipe is.
Start with washing the beans under some cold running water.
Trim the beans on both ends then add them to a pot of boiling salted water and cook for 5 minutes.
Green Beans with Basil Lemon Olive-Oil Dressing
In the meantime, chop the basil, parsley and place in a bowl. Add the grated lemon rind, lemon juice and olive oil and mix well.
Remove any excess water from the beans using paper towels then place the beans into a bowl.
This is the fun part of getting your hand dirty. Get your hands right in there and toss the beans in the dressing, ensuring they are evenly coated. Place the dressed beans on a serving dish and drizzle with a little extra olive oil.
You see how easy that is! Gotta love tasty, easy food
Here’s to more wonderfully long, hot summer days!
What’s your favourite salad this summer?
Basil Lemon Olive Oil Blanched Green Beans
- 500 g green beans washed and trimmed
- 6-8 large basil leaves chopped
- 1/3 cup flat leaf parsley chopped
- 1 lemon zest
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- In a pot of boiling salted water, blanch the green beans for 5 minutes.
- Drain and place the beans quickly into a bowl of chilled water with ice cubes for 1-2 minutes then drain. The cold icy water helps stop the beans from cooking any further.
- In a large bowl, add the chopped basil, parsley, lemon juice and olive oil and mix. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss the beans in the dressing, then place the green beans onto a serving dish. Pour any remaining dressing over the beans and drizzle with a little extra olive oil.
Remember to subscribe to SUNDAYCALM to receive new delicious recipes into your inbox!
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a pic and hashtag it #SUNDAYCALM. I’d love to see it!