This Baked Eggplant Recipe is a great example of how simple it is to create a traditionally Italian inspired dish the whole family will enjoy. Using traditional Italian flavours of gooey mozzarella cheese and rich marinara sauce that compliment the eggplant perfectly. This amazing eggplant and mozzarella recipe is actually vegetarian!
Meat-Free Eggplant Mozzarella
In my family, we love our meat, chicken and fish dishes…in fact we have some form of meat, (red or white) at least a few times a week. That doesn’t mean we don’t absolutely like our vegetables. As a matter of fact, we love them! Today I thought I’d let you guys in on one of my favourite ingredients for plant based meals. EGGPLANTS! These ones were homegrown and absolutely divine. I’m so lucky to have dear friends with gardens filled with fresh produce. I’m often gifted with the finest of their seasonal crops…and this was one of those occasions.
Baked Eggplant Recipe
Eggplant with tomato and mozzarella cheese is an awesome combination of flavours. You may have tried something similar to this before. Eggplant Parmigiana or Eggplant Napoleon perhaps?. But if you’ve never tried this flavour combo, you’re in for a treat. This is a melt-in-your-mouth eggplant with gooey mozzarella cheese.
Start with slicing the eggplants length ways, then charing the eggplant on the grill. Charing will definitely add some smokiness to the dish.
Cooking the eggplant for 4-5 minutes on either side, transfer them to an oven proof dish that has been lightly greased with a little olive oil.
Slice the mozzarella and top the eggplant with it. Place under a hot grill for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is all melted snd gooey.
In the meantime, place a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan, add the garlic and tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 20 minutes on medium-high heat until the tomato sauce is thickened and reduced.
Top the eggplant and mozzarella with the rich tomato sauce. Sprinkle with chopped basil and serve.
BAKED EGGPLANT RECIPE IS READY TO SERVE!
Baked Eggplant Recipe
- 4 eggplants sliced 1 inch thick
- 1 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 4 large mozzarella / bocconcini cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tsp salt
- Drizzle the sliced eggplant with a tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt and place on a griddle pan on medium-high heat. Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side or until the griddle marks appear on the eggplant.
- In a pan, add the olive oil, garlic, crushed tomatoes and 1 teaspoon of salt. Cook on medium-high heat for 15-20 minutes or until the tomatoes have thickened into a rich sauce.
- To assemble: Place the eggplant into an oven proof dish that has been lightly greased with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Place the eggplant slices into an oven proof dish and top with the mozzarella slices.
- Place under a hot grill for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and gooey.
- Remove from the oven and spoon over the tomatoes and top with a sprinkling of chopped basil.